Welcoming to Different Skies, an original science-fiction roleplay. Please mind the air locks and try not to get stuck in a vacuum.

"Humanity can survive, my friends. But it will take effort and it will take sacrifice. But first, we must rebuild the wheel to study these assailants from beyond. Any piece, any fragment of the Deus Pinnae that rears its head will be ours. Yamata 16 can no longer afford to linger in the shadows. If we must, we will take all of Bastion space in our grasps and ravage it until every metal sliver of the Pinnae is revealed... By any means necessary."

Jonathan Langdon.

Vestiges of Our Kind

AFFILIATE WITH US!

RPG-Directory Derelict
RPG-D Crusader Citadel New Sith BrotherhoodDistant Fantasies

Sidebar: Dana
Skinned by typhon
Mini Profile: EVE

WE ARE RATED AS

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to topic Start New Topic

Site Updates
Admiral
 Posted: Jul 4 2015, 12:05 PM
00 YEARS OLD // --
-- // Board Administrator
CURRENTLY Offline w/ 0 POSTS

PLAYED BY TYPHON

Admiral PLOTTER | DOSSIER | tracker

This thread will contain updates to the site, be it skins, rules, or other important matters.

5/29/15 - 7/4/15:
  • Site made. Construction begins.
  • Skins completed. Minor problems still there, but I don't think I can figure it out. Shouldn't muddle with site aesthetics in the long run, though.
  • Two skins - green and black. Black is default.
  • Graphics - Buttons, board banner, sidebar graphics completed.
  • Information dumps abound. Numerous threads put up.
  • Faction creation in progress.
  • Estimated site opening soon.
Major To-Dos:
  • At least 2 more factions.
  • Create/finish ad.
  • Finish Archetype pics.
  • Who's Who list.
  • Character to Faction list.
  • Faction/Member Group Colors.
  • Archetype List.
  • "Approved" message.
PMEmail
^
Admiral
 Posted: Aug 4 2015, 03:25 PM
00 YEARS OLD // --

PLAYED BY TYPHON

8/4/15

More or less ready to open. Just got to tweak some things and make sure all the writing is prim and proper before opening.
PMEmail
^
Admiral
 Posted: Aug 11 2015, 12:19 AM
00 YEARS OLD // --

PLAYED BY TYPHON

8/11

Major overhauls to the LOCATIONS thread:

Added in numerous sub-boards that I hadn't added in since they were added.

Re-ordered the two Systems to be more similar to the actual set-up of the board, separated by "Major Locations" and "Minor Locations." Major Locations will be the two or three primary planets/areas within the system and Minors will be the smaller ones. Pretty simple.

These areas will gradually be updated in order to develop them each into unique planets, moons, or stations, so read them occasionally! If you have any suggestions, I'm definitely open to listening to them.

For example: on Theus, one of the minor planets in the Neuros System, a penal colony has been added.

"While Theus does not boast atmospheric conditions conducive to life, it does have one stable biome. This biome serves as a penal colony for Bastion space criminals. However, only the worst of the worst are sent here. This penal colony is called the Dukkha Colony. Convicted psychopaths, men and women of dangerous elements, serial killers or worse are sent to Dukkha in order to endure an engrained rehabilitation. The Dukkha Colony is designed to give the men and women the tools they need to survive in a communal environment, forcing dependency on one another. While it receives cargo shipment, its occupants must farm and product their own food, create their own shelters; essentially, it encourages cooperation for survival. Since Dukkha has no proper guards or security, its inmates are in charge. Those who go against the grain and cost resources usually find themselves in an incinerator. Despite this, looming threat, many persevere to retain and enjoy a lifestyle. Those who survive their terms are returned to Bastion-space and reintegrated into society."

A Quote of the Week Nomination THREAD has been posted in the In-Site Concerns board in the Inquiries and Deliberations forum town in the OOC area. Post a quote with a link to the thread it's in and it will be nominated!

Post-Week is from Sunday to Saturday, so it needs to take place during that time period to be valid. Remember, you can't vote for yourself!
PMEmail
^
Jonathan Langdon
 Posted: Aug 14 2015, 11:37 PM
45 YEARS OLD // Mycorr
Yamata 16 // Genetech Administrator
CURRENTLY Offline w/ 8 POSTS

PLAYED BY typhon

Jonathan Langdon PLOTTER | DOSSIER | tracker

I took a moment to kind of breeze over the general "power level" of the site so as not to have ultra badasses like Superman surfing the skies with us. The idea is to keep powers low so those without powers are still capable of being on par with those who have them via technology.

These additions can be found in the ARCHETYPES thread.

*If the language is unclear, please let me know and I'll try again. These are generally "loose" limitations to keep things balanced power-wise.

**If you think other things need to be covered as well, inform me.

P O W E R - R A N G E S

As with medicines and technologies, gifted powers are manufactured with standard limitations. These are the general guidelines of all powers in order to instill a proverbial "maximum" limit on what your characters's abilities can do to retain a lower level of power both in character creation and in RP. Obviously, it's probably not a good idea to pick the limit in each of these fields of power that your Archetype can possess just to "be the best" or whatever. Every Archetype doesn't possess every single one of these, so they apply where applicable. These are unaugmented limits (no additional support from extra technology or chemical boosts, just stand-alone powers as if your character walked into a fight with only the clothes on their back). Plot-based moments in excess of limitations will be considered. The general idea is to "aim low, functional, but also fun and showy."

Basically, don't go crazy with it. You won't be punished unless you really push things in-game.
    Power and Strength - A maximum of 2000 pounds or "one tonne." This includes moving objects, lifting, crushing strength, grip strength, throwing, jumping, hitting, etc; anything that could be considered strength/power.

Psionic Influence - Telepathy, Empathy, Illusions, Mind control; anything involving mind based powers cannot influence more than ten people at a time.

Speed - Sustained: mechanically, physical, psionic, or energy induced; these cannot exceed 40 miles per hour. Bursts: as before, but no more than 60.

Flight - Similar to speed, but 100 mph.

Regeneration - Passive accelerated healing factors are okay, but not to X-Men's Wolverine levels. Regeneration of limbs, major organs, entirely from a cell, or otherwise is frowned upon and will not be allowed. *It should be noted everyone has access to "stempacks" which can accelerate healing.

Durability - Resistance to low-powered artillery and strikes. Maybe a big direct hit or two, but things are going to start breaking then.
PMEmail
^
Jonathan Langdon
 Posted: Aug 16 2015, 02:27 PM
45 YEARS OLD // Mycorr

PLAYED BY typhon

8/16

As I'm continuing to flesh out the basics of what is written, I'm expanding certain things. Today the primary playable factions got a more thorough description done, namely the Black Moons, Redshift Company, and Yamata 16. This is to describe them a little more and to give people a better idea of what they're in for.

LINK.
PMEmail
^
Jonathan Langdon
 Posted: Aug 20 2015, 07:25 PM
45 YEARS OLD // Mycorr

PLAYED BY typhon

8/20

Two things:

1 ) I've downgraded the Redshift Company down to an existing group rather than a playable faction. This is because, after consideration, I do not believe a loosely-organized group of dozens of independent crews can serve as a functional faction. They will continue to exist and be playable but all members (there aren't any as of this date) will be listed as Unaffiliated.

2 ) Secondly, I've added another group based on a suggestion from Tobias: The Copernican Trust.

"It's no surprise that through the formation of the Interstellar Federation of the Unsetting Suns and all of Bastion space, there have been a few hiccups. With internal struggles for power, disputes over solar territories, and even civil wars, Bastion is as stable as it could be. But, there are those who would like to see it crumble. The Copernican Trust is an armed insurrectionist movement who believe in solar sovereignty within Bastion space. They do not believe they should answer to Bastion's government in their home systems and that Bastion holds too much power when it comes to system matters.

As such, they have armed themselves and are an outspoken political movement. They have led numerous attacks on Bastion outposts and have even attempted to assassinate members of the Auroran council."

Feel free to review both HERE.
PMEmail
^
Jonathan Langdon
 Posted: Aug 21 2015, 02:08 PM
45 YEARS OLD // Mycorr

PLAYED BY typhon

8/21

I've revisited an Archetype I thought about making during the site's initial conception based on some recommendations I received. Adroits will be in the Miscellaneous Archetypes. They don't directly integrate themselves into the body like the Technological Archetypes, though they're on that weird fringe of "almost..??" because they are, indeed, technology based.

user posted image

A D R O I T
Advanced, Custom Equipment.

Some things are simply born from human ingenuity. Everyone else can have their energy-manipulating, perfect-bodied, artificial-brain powers, but some people just believe in good old fashioned equipment. Wires, metal, oil, and power, they just don't need anything spruced up in a lab to make their way in the world. Adroits are men and women who like using their hands. They like to be the ones to pull the trigger of their own weapons and move their machines.

Through some method, be it designing, purchasing, stealing, or by sheer coincidence, Adroits have come into ownership over a special piece of equipment. It could be a gun, a suit of power armor, arc-blade, or something completely off the chain; but it's theirs and there's alone. These aren't pieces of equipment built in a manufacturing plant on Hedstrom or an assembly line on Bastion. These are personalized, dipped in their blood, and acid-washed with the individual's own signature.
PMEmail
^
Jonathan Langdon
 Posted: Aug 22 2015, 01:52 PM
45 YEARS OLD // Mycorr

PLAYED BY typhon

8/22

Continuous tweaking continues!

I've upped the general strength levels for Archetypes from 1 tonne to 2.5 tonnes (2000 lbs to about 5500 lbs) for the sake of a little more badass wiggle room while still maintaining a low-tier level of power. This shouldn't effect anyone.

I will be allowing exceptions to the face claim rules in regards to characters that may not have an entirely human form, such as an Hephaesti that chooses a more mechanical body. I would concede to something like a Geth being used as a play-by.

I've added (started) a list of contraband in the SETTING INFORMATION thread for two illegal things.

C O N T R A B A N D

There remains a certain variety of contraband that exists in the future as well.
    CATALYST - Catalyst is the name of a processed, creamy, glowing orange fluid that gives people power. Scientifically, it enhances the flow of both mitochondrial chemical reactions and bioelectromagnetic energies inside of the body, allowing the user to augment their physical state. It is a deliberate, induced adrenaline-high, increasing reflexes, awareness, and general senses. For those with BURN Implants, it allows them to produce more bioelectromagnetic energies in their body, making their BURN Implant powers stronger. During use, sub-dermal and visible vascular channels gain a neon orange glow. These highs are brief, lasting for a minute or two at most with a single vial. After use, the glow of their veins fade, and exhaustion quickly settles in, making it difficult for the user to continue on unless they have more Catalyst. Another dose doubles their exhaustion. Multiple uses of Catalyst can be deadly, with active users experiencing comatose rather often. Overuse can result in organ failure and damage to the central nervous system, as well as outright death. Catalyst is not chemically addictive but many fall for its psychologically addictive properties.

SOOT - Soot is the street name for a powerful hallucinogenic powder derived from the defensive barbs on a colorful, three-headed snail-like organism found in the tropical seas of Salacia. This organism, commonly called a Cerjett, naturally produces this hallucinogen in a series of pockets on it shell. Once bitten by a predator, it ejects a small, sharply-pointed barb like a torpedo into the attacker's body. As soon as it was discovered by the right (wrong) people, the Cerjett was shipped across the stars and its barbs quickly became the focus of a volatile drug industry. Once crushed, the poison changes the barb's colors and it becomes a black powder that can be inhaled. After that, there's little else to do. Soot is an intense high, sometimes resulting in violent rages by individuals whose minds are tricked into believing something horrible. Coming off it is worse -- it takes weeks and withdrawal isn't pretty. Some puke blood, others are violent, but crippling body pains are prevalent. Long time users do not always survive the withdrawal, as Soot is prone to cause synaptic damage. They either go mad, become crippled, or worse. Those who suffer long-term effects beyond addiction are referred to as "Conflagrates."
PMEmail
^
Jonathan Langdon
 Posted: Aug 29 2015, 03:09 PM
45 YEARS OLD // Mycorr

PLAYED BY typhon

8/29

Minor update!

I took a few minutes to go over the site's default css and figured out how to make links show up differently. Originally they were just standard texts that you had to manually modify in-post (which was a pain in the ass making all the info threads, let me tell you).

Now they show up like this

Hope that helps!

Also: all member accounts and guest posts now have a pretty background image in the avatar area. This will still technically load when you have your own avatar image, so you just need to make sure they aren't transparent or it will show through.
PMEmail
^
Jonathan Langdon
 Posted: Sep 11 2015, 03:50 PM
45 YEARS OLD // Mycorr

PLAYED BY typhon

9/11

Added to the timeline:

Unknown to all, the current incarnation of Yamata 16 is established and begins to work in the shadows.

and

Evidence of Yamata 16 and it's "Black Cells" are discovered. No further signs of Yamata 16 have been found.
PMEmail
^
Admiral
 Posted: Sep 14 2015, 02:44 PM
00 YEARS OLD // --

PLAYED BY TYPHON

9/14

Updated the Corona description. I reviewed it and found it to be a little... stifling to creativity and potential for players, so I've removed the language that proved to be a little hindering.
PMEmail
^
Alliraine Nota
 Posted: Sep 18 2015, 08:53 PM
41 YEARS OLD // Corona
Unaffiliated // Private Detective
CURRENTLY Offline w/ 11 POSTS

PLAYED BY typhon

Alliraine Nota PLOTTER | DOSSIER | tracker

A few things have been added to the General Setting Information thread.

In contraband:

F9B6 - A performance enhancing drug drawn from Catalyst compounds, this drug is a slow, steady boost for those participating in many sports and other walks of life. It allows the user to perform at a higher level, with greater stamina and endurance in regards to their BURN Implants. Prolong use of the F9B6 steroid will also influence the body as a full use of Catalyst.

A new section, Sports:

A full-contact team sport, BURN-G is played with 6 players on both sides, consisting respectively of 2 Corona's, 2 Novae's, and 2 Tesla's who both have duties on the offensive and defensive side of play. The game is played in a low-Gravity spherical arena, with there being no "up or down", merely two goals on either side of the arena, the best players are able to use the entire arena to their advantage as they can use the low-gravity to leap further and bounce off every part of the sphere. Naturally the goal of the game is to hit a snooker-sized ball into the back of the opposite net, either the team with the highest score after 60 minutes of uninterrupted play, or the first team to reach 10 points will win the match.

Despite the first season being played in 2390, as of 2515, there are 10 teams in the league. All teams play each other four times for a total of 36 matches in a season, two games a week. The four best teams take part in a round-robin playoffs to crown the Burn-G Universal Champion.

With there being ten teams from around the galaxy, there have been three teams over the years that have mostly shared the glory among each other. With a fourth and final team holding the record for most playoff appearances and being the longest tenured team in the league.

These teams are:

The Bastion Senators.
    The Magnus Maulers.
    The Salacia Cyclones.
    The Ferrum Ice Lancers.

A new section, Military:

It should be noted that the military will not have a heavy presence on this board short of a full-scale war. This is just here to explain a little bit about it and to serve as inspiration for character origins.

It goes without saying that an expansive interstellar government requires a military. Composed of numerous dreadnoughts and starships, the Federation of the Unsetting Suns' military is expansive. Known as the most powerful military organization within the known reaches of space, it outweighs the threat of all the other smaller groups of human and Hephaesti combined. Established since the beginning of the Federation, the military remains a powerful presence controlled by Bastion.

The military stands poised to protect the citizens of the Unsetting Suns' dominion. It is never mobilized without the consent of the Praetorian Parliament and the Auroran Council. Because of its indomitable strength, it is rarely used for anything more than defense against the minor non-Federation "countries." As Bastion space is heavily established and not for wont when it comes to resources, it is almost never used to expand the Federation's territories -- especially considering the number of planets and asteroids it can draw from. Instead, military units are used primarily to resolve conflicts in and around the Federation's many solar systems, aid in natural disasters, and thwart incursions from foreign governments. In some ways, it also serves as the Federation's general policing force, patrolling the greater reaches of its dominion. Each solar system tends to have its own policing forces whose jurisdiction take precedence over the military's. The military has numerous bases throughout Bastion space and rarely moves en masse. It does not occupy or surround Bastion itself, though representatives of the military may use Bastion as their base of operations within the Corinthian Arch.

The Federation Navy ranking from lowest to highest: Ensign, Second Lieutenant, First Lieutenant, Lieutenant Commander, Commander, Captain, Rear Admiral, Vice Admiral, Admiral, Fleet Admiral.
PMEmail
^
Jonathan Langdon
 Posted: Sep 27 2015, 10:26 PM
45 YEARS OLD // Mycorr

PLAYED BY typhon

9/27

There is a new addition to the miniprofiles -- small flash players for a single song to play when you click it! You can add the mp3 url code in the Song section in your profile info.

Just be mindful of the volume. You don't really have any control over it.
PMEmail
^
Alliraine Nota
 Posted: Dec 3 2015, 07:25 PM
41 YEARS OLD // Corona
Unaffiliated // Private Detective
CURRENTLY Offline w/ 11 POSTS

PLAYED BY typhon

Alliraine Nota PLOTTER | DOSSIER | tracker

12/3

Added "Aliens" to the Banlist.

Aliens - Sentient aliens do not exist on the board.

Removed "Clones" from the Banlist.

Expanded on the Elemental Powers:

Elemental Powers (Pyrokinesis, cryokinesis, geokinesis, etc). It should be noted that the way these powers are listed are meant to be psionic in nature. You can have flamethrowers, cryo-weapons, etc., but just be wary of how they are done.
PMEmail
^
Admiral
 Posted: Jan 2 2016, 10:47 AM
00 YEARS OLD // --

PLAYED BY TYPHON

I'm sure you've noticed a few changes on the side-bar today! The main one I want to point out is the one at the bottom -- our upgrade to 3-2-3!

We've upgraded from 2-1-2 with the activation of Premium JCINK. This has a few perks, but mainly it allows us to be as crazy as we like. It also removes ads.

You can review all the perks here.

I'm also thinking about starting the shop. it won't be for anything but random, uh, "Achievement" tokens. If anyone knows how that works, please tell me. I have no ideaaaa!

The Rules have also been updated.

:: 00 - SITE CONTENT DISCLAIMER.
    This site is a mature themed game with the potential for depictions of violence, language, or themes (social issues, ethical conundrums, etc). While we are currently rated 3-2-3 and can abide by jcink's Premium Terms of Service, we will hold true to our requirement that all players be 17 or older. While we cannot prove that you, the player, are not actually 17 upon registration, we reserve the right to remove you from this board should we ever find out.
      Language - 3 - Be as vulgar as possible, but use a little class. If every post is half vulgar, we'll give you a thesaurus.

Sexual Content - 2 - Sexual content is permitted. Gestures, sexual language, and the build up to sexual acts are fine. All scenarios that may turn explicitly sexual are required to FADE TO BLACK.

Violence - 3 - CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES, SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE YOU, AND HEAR THE LAMENTATIONS OF THEIR WOMEN. But let's not go overboard and turn into gore-porn, eh?

PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Reply to topic Start New Topic

skinned by TYPHON